In recent months, Sri Lanka ODI team has seen nothing except for defeats. On Friday, team registered 11th consecutive loss in the format during fourth ODI against Pakistan and once again poor batting was the main reason. As senior players like Dinesh Chandimal and Lahiru Thirimane are playing solid test innings in ODI Cricket, here are the five players who can replace Both with their allround abilities :
1. Dhananjaya De Silva : He could be the next big thing for Sri Lanka cricket after his historic performance against Australia last year, when he was the main architect with the bat for Sri Lanka. Instead, selectors didn’t take long to drop him after a very few moderate scores. Technically one of the best player in Sri Lanka, he could be a great ODI player, like Hashim Amla for South Africa, Ajinkya Rahane for India. All he need is the a little bit backing from the selectors.
2. Sadeera Samarwikrama : already earmarked as future of Sri Lanka batting, Sadeera is could be an ideal number three in shorter formats, as Kusal Mendis struggle at the position has prolonged. A positive stroke maker with a positive frame of mind, what all Sri Lanka needs at the moment, as they have already two dashing openers in Niroshan Dickwela and Danushka Gunathilika.
3. Dasun Shanaka : one of the most mysterious thing in Sri Lanka cricket in last two years, why management afraid to back the seriously talented allrounder. Forget about his bowling, he is more than capable to fits into the national team as a batsman in shorter formats. Not only one of the biggest striker in Sri Lanka, he has a technically sound too, and can play long innings as well. The great thing about Shanaka that he can bat anywhere, as during the Singapore t20 blitz tournament, he opened the innings and played some scintillating knocks. In ongoing series against west Indies A, he has been in cracking form, notched up a blistering hundred and a half-century.
4. Shehan Jayasuriya : with his all round abilities, Sheahn provides balance to team, unlike Chandimal and Thirimane. Its mysterious, Sri Lanka team management never considered his off Break bowling seriously, even though he has taken plethora of wickets for his club, domestic teams, as well as for emerging and A teams. Batting wise too, he has a good technique.
5. Dilshan Munaveera : The innings he played against India in one of the t20 match recently, proves how good stroke maker he is. One of the clean striker of the ball, if he will get half of the chances, what Chandimal and Thirimane got over the years, he can repay big time. Like Shehan, he too provides balance to the team, with his tight off break bowling.