The fixtures for the ICC T20 World Cup Australia 2020 were revealed in Sydney, Australia on Tuesday morning (Australian Eastern Daylight Time). For the first time, the women’s and men’s T20 World Cups will be held as standalone events in the same year and in the same country.
Matches confirmed for the women’s and men’s T20 World Cups to be played in Australia in 2020
• The 10 top women’s teams will contest 23 matches from 21 February – 8 March 2020
• The 16 best men’s teams will play 45 matches from 18 October – 15 November 2020
• Women’s and men’s tournaments to be played as standalone events, with both finals at the biggest cricket stadium in the world, the Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG)
• Women’s final at the MCG is an opportunity to set a new world record for attendance at a women’s sporting fixture
• A spectacular opening for the women’s T20 World Cup will be held at Sydney Showground Stadium featuring hosts and reigning champions Australia taking on India
• On the men’s side, hosts Australia will play the world’s top-ranked team, Pakistan, at the iconic Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) in the first Super 12 match of the tournament
• Tickets for the Women’s T20 World Cup go on sale on 21 February 2019 and fans can register for early access to tickets at t20worldcup.com
• ICC’s Global Broadcast Partner, Star Sports and its licensees will provide live and highlights coverage for both the events across the world.
A spectacular opening celebration will mark the start of the women’s tournament, when hosts and defending champions Australia take on India at Sydney Showground Stadium on 21 February 2020. The women’s tournament will also feature double-header semi-finals at the iconic SCG on Thursday 5 March 2020.
The ICC Men’s T20 World Cup 2020 will take place later in the year, from 18 October to 15 November 2020. Hosts Australia will play the opening match of the Super 12 stage of the tournament on Saturday 24 October under lights at the SCG in a blockbuster match-up against the world’s top-ranked team, Pakistan.
The first men’s semi-final will take place at the SCG on Wednesday 11 November, with Adelaide Oval hosting the second semi-final the following night. Like the women’s final earlier in the year, the men’s final will be played at the MCG, on the evening of Sunday 15 November 2020.
Both tournaments will be held right across Australia in eight Host Cities and 13 venues.
Men’s defending champions, the Windies, will start their title defence when they clash with New Zealand on Sunday 25 November at the MCG. India’s first match of the men’s tournament will be on Saturday 24 October against South Africa at Perth Stadium. This contest will follow the Australia-Pakistan opening match in Sydney, marking a spectacular opening night for the men’s Super 12 stage.
Having finished ninth and tenth in the MRF Tyres ICC World T20I Team Rankings, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh respectively are the two currently known qualifiers in the First Round of the men’s event, with matches to be played in Geelong and Hobart from October 18-23. The remaining six teams for the First Round will be determined via a qualifying tournament to be held later in 2019. A total of four teams from the First Round, two from each of Group A and Group B, will progress to the Super 12 stage.
ICC T20 World Cup Australia 2020 Local Organising Committee CEO Nick Hockley said: “We’re so excited to be able to let fans all around Australia and the world know when and where their teams will play, so they can start planning now.
“World Cups are all about bringing people together. We know that passionate fans of all generations and cultures will travel from near and far to support their teams and that they will receive the warmest of welcomes in our wonderful host cities.”