Sri Lanka’s Sports Minister Namal Rajapaksa Thursday (August 20) appointed new members to the National Sports Council, which will advice the sports minister on sports policy matters. Former Sri Lanka Cricket captain Mahela Jayawardene will head the council which is appointed for 2 years.
Cricket Age had published the news on August (19) itself that Kumar Sangakkara and Mahela Jayawardene would be named in the Sports Council.
Both Sangakkara and Jayawardene, along with other members, will be playing pivotal roles in advising Namal in making policies for all 66 Sports bodies, especially cricket. In addition, they will be give the authority to make development and structural plans for all the Sports in the country.
Interestingly, Sri Lanka’s top corporate giants like Rowena Samarasinghe, Ruwan Keragala, Supun Weerasinghe, Sanjeew Wickramasinghe have also been named in the Council, which indicates that Sports Ministry, led by Namal Rajapaksa, has considered all the aspects of the game!
“Inclusion of all these top people means all popular Sports in the country will be geting a chance to attract Corporate Sponsorship and advertisings more frequently” a top Sports Ministry official told Cricket Age.
Sports Council Members:
- Mahela Jayawardene – Chairman
- Julian Bolling – Committee Member
- Kumar Sangakkara – Committee Member
- Dilantha Malagamuwa – Committee Member
- Kasturi Chellaraja Wilson – Committee Member
- Supun Weerasinghe – Committee Member
- Rohan Fernando – Committee Member
- Ruwan Keragala – Committee Member
- Sanjeewa Wickramanayake – Committee Member
- Major General Rajitha Ampemohotti – Committee Member
- Lieutenant General Shaveendra Silva – Committee Member
- Rowena Samarasinghe – Committee Member
- Yaswanth Muttetuwegama – Committee Member
- A.J.S.S Edirisooriya – Committee Member
- Thiyumi Abeysinghe – Appointed Secretary