Mohan De Silva, former vice president of Sri Lanka Cricket Board (SLC), on Tuesday firmly opposed the letter sent by election committee stating his disqualification from the upcoming board election on Thursday next week. Further, Mohan De Silva claimed that as the appeal of his court case against the disqualification is yet to be take place, it’s unethical by election committee to send the said letter.
The letter reads :
My dear Members,
I write with reference to the email I received on 18th February with an attachment of a letter dated 18th February 2019 written by the Election Committee, to the membership of Sri Lanka Cricket eligible to cast their vote at the election of Office Bearers for Sri Lanka Cricket.
I am surprised to receive the said attached letter, as my nomination was accepted by the said Election Committee before their decision was appealed.
It is further surprising to note that the said letter has been sent by the members of the Election Committee, at a time where a case has been filed in the Court of Appeal against the rejection of my nomination by the Hon. Minister of Sports, naming the members of the Election Committee also as Respondents.
It is my humble opinion that such a letter should not have been circulated as the case filed against my rejection of nomination is to be supported before the Court of Appeal on Wednesday the 20th February 2019 and until an order is made after all legal matters are considered by Court.
I do not wish to comment on the merits of the issue as there is a case pending before Court.
However, I humbly urge the membership to be cautious of any attempts by anyone, to disrupt my campaign with the intension of creating a situation which might be unfavourable to me at the election.
As a law abiding citizen having complete faith in the judicial system of our country, I await justice.
Mohan de Silva
On February 8, just two weeks prior to SLC election, the Appeal Committee delivered a death blow to Mohan De Silva and former assistant secretary Ravin Wickramaratne by ruling that they are ineligible to contest the SLC election.
The decision had been taken considering an appeal which questions the eligibility of the said duo to contest, as both of them were in the SLC Executive Committee which was dissolved in March 2005 by the then Sports Minister, Jeewan Kumaratunga by issuing a Gazette notification, citing several financial irregularities and appointing an interim committee to the SLC.
Both Mohan De Silva and Ravin Wickramaratne have filed a case against their disqualification in the appeal court. The court of appeal is set to hear the case of their disqualification on Wednesday.